You need a safe place to call home - everyone does. Unfortunately many young people don't have safe accommodation and are sleeping rough or on friends' sofas.

It you’re over 16 you can choose to leave home if you want to, however, living on your own can be really challenging. It can also be more difficult to get a place of your own before you’re 18.

Expand the boxes below for more information or try our Self-Help Tool for more specific and detailed help.

There are lots of reasons you might want to leave home but before making the decision to move out, it’s important to think about some of the challenges you might face. Once you reach 16, you can legally leave home or in fact your parents can ask you to move out. However, parents are responsible for their children’s wellbeing until they turn 18.

It’s important to consider that moving out is expensive. You may not be able to put down a deposit on a property, pay rent and bills or buy food, without some support. You will need help renting a property. In England, Northern Ireland and Wales, under 18s need a guarantor to rent. Young people aged 16 and over may be eligible to claim benefits in certain circumstances.

There may be lots of reasons you could be having problems where you live: family arguments, abusive relationships, excessive alcohol or drug use. Sometimes it just might feel safer to be elsewhere. If this is the case, you need to speak to an adult you trust. This could be a teacher, school nurse, doctor or another adult you feel comfortable talking to. You can also contact Childline about any problems you’re having. If you feel in immediate danger you should phone 999.

Being homeless at a young age is an extremely risky and serious situation and it is vital you seek help immediately. As a homeless young person, you are entitled to accommodation regardless of your nationality or immigration status.

If you are worried you are about to become homeless or you are homeless, you should contact your local authority housing team. You can use this site to find your local authority, then search on 'housing'.

Keep up to date @thewrapdhi